Flood and Coastal Engineer – (Bristol, Cardiff or Birmingham)
Our client is an independent engineering consultancy comprising of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services.
Our client’s water team has wide-ranging skills spanning advisory and specialist technical services. They deliver projects for clients including water companies, Environment Agency & Natural Resources Wales.
What is the role?
Our client is currently recruiting for flood and coastal engineers to join their teams in Cardiff, Bristol or Birmingham. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path.
Our client is interested in hearing from people with skills in the following specific areas:
· Flood risk and coastal engineering
· Hydraulic design
· River engineering
· Economic appraisal
· Stakeholder engagement
· Business case development in line with HM Treasury Green Book.
You’ll help our client to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients on projects ranging from those on a local scale to those with National significance. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, our client will give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Candidates should have appropriate experience with the above type of work and be chartered or close to achieving chartered status. The successful candidate will have a wide range of responsibilities some of which are described below.
To do this you would be:
· Working with colleagues in specialisms such as Flood and Coastal Risk Management, Site Development, Sustainability and Environmental Planning
· Working with collaborators such as environmental scientists, hydraulic modellers, landscape architects and planners
· Meeting with clients, local authorities, and other stakeholders – including site visits
· Specifying and interrogating survey information, hydraulic and coastal risk modelling for use in solution development
· Carrying out assessment, analysis and design. Preparing technical reports and specifications
· Developing and appraising FCERM options and supporting the production of FCERM business cases
· Managing projects
· Helping to win and manage commissions from clients
· Managing your own time and deadlines to meet project commitment
· Our client encourages their staff to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to learn about our sector, and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent service to their clients.
Ideally a Masters in Civil or Environmental Engineering (or equivalent) at 2:1 or above, although a BEng at 2:1 or above will also be considered
· Thorough understanding of the principles of coastal risk management projects, project development, shoreline management and project business cases.
·Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong numerical skills
· Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams and client/stakeholder liaison
· Possess effective planning and organisation skills
· An ability to multi-task efficiently under pressure and maintain high level of attention to detail.
· Understand the needs of your clients and colleagues
· Be able to analyse data and drawings
· Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
· Experience of working for flood and coastal risk management authorities
· Wide experience of coastal engineering techniques and principles.
· Understanding of the principles of flood risk management projects.
· An understanding of modelling software is an advantage as well as an appreciation of climate adaptation and resilience principles and practices;
· An understanding of the UN Sustainable Development Goals;
· Enthusiasm for a career in the FCERM sector, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
· Highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges
· A proactive and organised approach and the ability to plan-ahead to ensure deadlines are met;
· Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving and seek to improve existing ways of working
· The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
· Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
· Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
· A willingness to adopt new digital tools to aid collaboration and efficiency.
· A strong sense of appropriate ethical practice;
· A professional, trustworthy and approachable attitude;
Reward and Benefits
Our client offers a competitive salary at all levels, and has one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Register and upload your CV today to access our candidate zone, set tailored job alerts and kickstart your job search.
Searching for a job can be a daunting prospect; understanding your worth on the job market, navigating job boards, recruiters and social networks can all present barriers to finding the…read more
Many people are finding themselves working from home for the first time, or with more family in the house than usual for a working week. Maintaining focus when working from…read more