Asset Planning Engineer (Non-infra)
Advance TRS are working closely with a Water Utility Company in the South who are looking for Asset Engineers / Asset Planning Engineers to join their water non-infrastructure team. They are happy to consider candidates from Assistant to Senior grade.
These roles would suit candidates with a technical mindset (either from a civil engineering, mechanical or process background) with familiarity of water sector above ground non-infrastructure assets.
Purpose of the role:
As part of a team of planners in the non-infra planning team, the Asset Planning Engineer (Non-Infra) is required to review, validate, and, where appropriate, promote projects for investment to our capital programme. The planning process includes the gathering and evaluation of asset data, to determine and quantify the risk, development of mitigations that consider cost and carbon, and recommending optimal interventions to ensure asset health is maintained, and performance requirements are achieved by:
- Creating investment plans for all Asset Classes that enable the KPI’s for each class to be met.
- Managing existing and emerging risks through a process designed to achieve best balance of risk and value from investments and operations.
- Risk prioritisation; Needs definition; Options identification; Preferred solution recommendation.
- Engaging with the operations teams to identify key areas for improvement of asset availability and performance.
The Asset Planning Engineer will use this information to initiate and develop capital delivery projects through to the design stage. Working with Strategic Asset Management and Investment Programme Management, the Asset Planning Engineer will help optimise the capital investment portfolio to deliver maximum value for our capex allowance, balancing cost, performance, and risk. Whilst the role is primarily based at Head Office in Hatfield, travel to operational sites and regional offices will be required.
- Ensuring our assets meet regulatory standards whilst maintaining value and levels of service.
- Identifying projects for initiation through a variety of techniques; data interrogation, stakeholder engagement and utilising specialist software.
- Preparing business cases and setting scope, cost estimates, carbon assessments, and deliverables.
- Initiating and managing projects to design stage.
- Working with project teams throughout the project lifecycle to ensure benefits are realised.
- Challenging, innovating, and developing methodologies to improve performance.
- Stewardship of Engineering standards to manage assets and meet regulatory requirements.
- Collaborating with others to maintain operational excellence in asset management.
- Degree level education in a relevant engineering subject
- Strong analytical and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Water Industry assets, equipment, and processes
- Full UK driving licence.
Role Capabilities – Technical
Education – Educated to degree level in relevant Engineering subject
Professional Qualification – APM, Prince 2 or other relevant professional body would be desirable
Systems – MS Office, Intermediate Excel. Various data systems, telemetry, databases, reporting software
Regulatory and legal knowledge – Comprehensive regulatory knowledge and apply continuing professional development in the work environment. Develop operational strategies and plans that are legally sound and that minimise business risk.
Stakeholder Management – Experience of stakeholder management. Flexible approach to manage reactive issues whilst driving proactive plans. Able to understand and manage competing stakeholder views for best company outcomes.
Project Management – Plan, direct, and co-ordinate activities to manage complex projects from initiation/concept to design stage. Report on activities related to the project, management of risks and issues.
Financial Processes – Project finance, funding, budgeting and cost management
Project control and reporting – Understand importance of project control and able to regularly report individual project progress.
Water Quality and Water Treatment Processes – Have awareness of water treatment processes, engineering assets, and industry regulations
Risk Management – Work with operational teams to establish needs, evaluate and quantify risks, and identify those needing capital investment. Work with stakeholders to gather data and justification to prioritise needs. Work with Investment Programme Management to optimise the capital investment portfolio, using our value framework and software tools. Develop options and recommend solutions, taking ownership of projects through the concept stage.
Asset Planning – Develop Asset Class Frameworks, including strategies and planned interventions for all asset classes, recommending optimal approach to managing different assets.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search