This is a fantastic opportunity for a Construction Manager to join a family business working on some of the finest properties in the central southern England area. You will be joining a highly conscientious and experienced team to complete extension and new build schemes to enviable residential properties in an affluent area of southern England. You will operationally lead new builds to period refurbishments upwards of £2m in value.
As Construction Manager you will lead a team of site based management to deliver projects to the highest standard and to contribute to the overall success of the customer experience and of customer satisfaction. To reflect the company ethos in the management of employees and in the undertaking of all professional duties.
ROLE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- To understand more complex project and planning information.
- To demonstrate the ability to plan over a longer period and to take into account more interdependent variables in this planning.
- To demonstrate time management strategies to deal with the range and complexity of tasks – managerial, administrative and technical input.
- To develop strategies to manage the quality of workmanship of both direct employees and subcontractors.
PLANNING & PROGRAMMING
- To analyse and monitor daily and weekly programming from the site based management teams ensuring resources and labour is sufficient in line with project information and the construction programme. Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of longer lead in times for materials and resources and ensure that this is reflected in any planning.
- To produce a project programme using programming software to compile this and as a tool to show progress, record delays and variations.
- To plan for more numerous, complex tasks in an integrated manner that illustrates how they are interlinked and interdependent.
- To ensure that all planning and programming is shared with the relevant team members, including subcontractors, and is monitored and reviewed.
- Where appropriate consult with subcontractors to gather their specialist input into the programme.
- To contribute proactively to weekly team planning meetings and to maintain excellent levels of communication with the client and their representatives.
- To manage your team in line with company values.
- To oversee, advise and manage all activities on site related to the projects under your control.
- To manage your time effectively so as to balance the increased administrative and managerial aspects of the role together with any ongoing practical demands.
- To manage the site management team with the minimum of disruption to the client and to ensure that team members, including subcontractors, conduct themselves appropriately at all times.
COMMERCIAL AWARENESS AND UNDERSTANDING
- To plan and manage the project with consideration to financial efficiency’s with regard to the sequencing of activities and the use of labour and plant.
- To accurately complete all administration supporting financial tracking and be able to deliver this information at formal meetings.
- To ensure that expectations of workmanship are explained clearly to the team including the use of examples of good practice where appropriate.
- To ensure strategies are used to monitor quality and to maintain high standards including regular site inspections of work in progress.
- To follow all company processes regarding sign off and completion of works.
- To deploy effective strategies to address issues regarding work that doesn’t meet expectations including gathering documentation to support this assessment and to ensure standards are met.
SHE (Safety, Health and Environment)
- To be aware of all relevant SHE legislation with regards to statutory compliance.
- To understand project information to help identify risk and manage potential hazards using company procedures.
- To establish a site safety culture.
- To ensure that all documentation related to SHE is completed regularly, kept up to date and filed securely.
ADMINISTRATION & DOCUMENT CONTROL
- To develop effective strategies for producing, updating, collating and storing all relevant project information in line with company policy, procedure and legislation.
- To demonstrate effective communication using email and more formal documentation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND BEHAVIOURS
- Degree qualified or a Trade Apprenticeship.
- Site Managers Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) Certificate.
- First Aid Certificate.
- Comprehensive contractual knowledge.
- Advanced programming software.
- Awareness of standard pre-construction processes and relevant SHE regulations.
- Self-motivated and able to use initiative.
- Able to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Effective time management.
- Good problem-solving capabilities.
- Clear communicator.
- Time served main contract experience
- Previous managerial experience on projects of a value up to approximately £2 million or of similar complexity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.