A main contracting organisation, rapidly creating a leading brand name within the residential construction sector have secured a number of refurbishment and new build residential construction contracts with the West London, Thames Valley and Surrey region. The senior management team have identified the need to recruit a Design Manager to join them.
To be responsible for all design and technical matters ensuring that best practice is set, achieved and maintained at project level both during tender and construction stages. This role will involve working alongside the post contract operational delivery team and also offering your experience and expertise throughout all pre construction design phases, whilst reporting back to the Design Director.
- To be responsible for all design and technical matters ensuring that best practice is set, achieved and maintained at project level both during tender and construction stages.
- Fully contribute to the tender process including tender launch, adjudication and tender settlement meetings.
- Identify risk and promote strategies and alternative design solutions to mitigate.
- Promote innovative solutions to develop work winning strategies at tender stage.
- Identification of value engineering opportunities.
- Prepare and attend tender presentations and interviews.
- Production of contractor’s proposals and technical submission at tender stage.
- Consultant negotiations and appointment, including novated and directly appointed.
- Assembly of consultant appointment documents in accordance with company procedures.
- Establishing and maintaining design management procedures at each stage of the project.
- Produce detailed package scope of works and advise on work package content suitable for tendering, evaluate and make recommendations
- Carrying out full technical reviews and an evaluation of all design information received during all stages (tender and construction stages)
Skills & Experience:
- Above all you must be able to demonstrate main contract design management experience within your recent career history.
- The candidate will typically have undertaken a similar role in a similar sized business for a minimum of ten years and be working towards or will have achieved a professional qualification.
- The candidate will have demonstrated a sound approach to managing the design process across a wide spectrum of procurement routes and will be able to evidence having managed a function or project team in this discipline.
- The ability to have multi project experience covering more than one scheme at any one time, covering new build and cut/carve refurbishment within the residential sector.
- Experience of technology-based tools and methods such as BIM and CAD systems is advantageous.
- Experienced in both single stage and two stage procurement processes including knowledge of all forms of construction contract.
- Able to take lead role as bid manager during pre-construction or construction as business needs dictate.
- A provider of design solutions and should have strong communication and presentation skills.
- Complete performance development reviews.
- Ability to undertake peer reviews on projects.
- The ability to review design documents to identify where gaps are missing, or details are not coordinated.
- Construction related qualification
- Chartered or Associate Member of an appropriate engineering institution
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search