Lead Quantity Surveyor
Technical recruiters for the built environment
A new and exciting opportunity has become available as a Lead Quantity Surveyor, as the Lead Quantity Surveyor you would be a member of and/or management of the Commercial Team on a large project or a number of medium/small projects (as agreed with the Lead Contracts/Commercial Manager or Commercial Manager).
Provide support for the achievement of the Company’s financial performance targets and goals and providing support, focus and motivation of the Commercial Team to optimise margin for the Company.
Close liaison with Head of Commercial, RDD’s and senior project staff of ALSTOM UK, Clients and Stakeholders to ensure customer satisfaction while protecting ALSTOM UK from commercial risk.
Lead Quantity Surveyor has a key Commercial role supporting the Lead Contracts/Commercial Manager or Commercial Manager, and the Project and Bid Management, and interfaces with all other supporting disciplines.
Key areas are:
- Commercial management expertise and provide guidance on contract administration
- Provide guidance on Contract documentation and a working knowledge of Risk management
- Data and Record Management expertise
- Provide guidance on Project financial control and reporting
- Working knowledge of Tendering and pre-contract work
- Business planning and Achieving Results
- Business Awareness and Client care
- Communication and negotiation
- Team working
- Leadership and People development
Successful performance will protect the company’s position and ensure maximum financial benefit. Interfaces with Senior, Regional and Local Project and Bid teams to ensure Alstom performance reflects or beats set targets.
- Manage the client payment cycle up to and including Final Account including the Project Change Account to maximise income, improve margin and achieve best possible cash flow position. Maintain Sub-contractor accounts from project start up, checking that detailed and well-structured sub-contracts are in place, through to final account. Manage the accurate reporting of liabilities. Pay sub-contractors and issue notices strictly in accordance with contractual and legal requirements.
- Implement the required actions in Project Commercial Management Plans. Identify and provide guidance on commercial best practice. Provide clear guidance on contract conditions, assessing contractual opportunities and risks arising from all the project documentation. Review project-level Risks and advise on avoidance and mitigation proposals recorded in registers.
- Manage actions in compliance with project systems for recording progress and delays, change management, collection of measurement information and relevant contemporaneous records. Prepare event registers, carry out timely actions and develop entitlement documentation.
- Contribute fully to the production of Monthly Project Reviews and Work Package Management Reviews, whilst advising on forecasts and possible outcomes within acceptable best/worst case scenarios.
- Explanatory assessment of specific contract review documentation produced during the tender and estimating process.
- Contribute to the achievement of corporate targets and budget within the Project Commercial Team. Implement the required actions which align with the commercial management strategy.
- Provide support and advice to the Commercial Managers and Project Teams on specified commercial topics. Develop beneficial relationships with the Client, within Project Teams, with sub-contractors and suppliers. Review Commercial processes and procedures to ensure they enhance Alstom’s commitment to continuous improvement.
- Represent the Commercial team at Project and client meetings. Manage the negotiation of subcontract disputes, in line with agreed commercial strategy, in order to achieve early resolution (within 3 months of identification) and avoid escalation to formal dispute resolution procedures.
- Contribute to the management of the commercial team, identifying and allocating outstanding tasks to be completed within the responsibility matrix.
- Contribute to staff reviews to identify their training and development needs and support their improved performance.
- Strong customer liaison focus.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Able to communicate clearly with all levels.
- Ability to Work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Strong Organisation and planning skills.
- Educated to graduate entry degree level requirements or equivalent.
- Up to date Continuing Professional Development records.
- Substantial experience working in contracting commercial department.
- Able to provide guidance on construction industry standard forms of contract and commercial terms.
- Able to provide guidance on Quantification, costing of construction works and task elemental cost analysis.
- Able to provide guidance on the determination of scope of work through the interpretation of the contract documents.
- Working knowledge of Planning and the use of programmes in the management of construction works.
- Working knowledge of Conflict avoidance, management and dispute resolution procedures
- Appreciation of accounting concepts and the format and preparation of management and company accounts
- Appreciation of Health, Safety and Sustainability matters relative to the industry.
- Ability to disseminate company, project and commercial knowledge in a well-structured and understandable format.
- Understanding of how to source commonly used commercial training arrangements.
- Technical or Associate membership recognition by a Quantity Surveying institution and working towards full membership status
- Working on Multi-discipline Design and construct contracts.
- Employed within a Rail environment.
- Developing people management experience.
At Alstom UK and Ireland, we offer you the opportunity to unleash your potential and help drive our organisation forward. We are striving to be an employer that delivers on equality and diversity in the workplace. We do this by seeking to create an inclusive, fair and respectful environment for all our current and future employees. As a ‘Disability Committed’ employer, we will interview all disabled job applicants who match the essential criteria of the job description or specification
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search