Principal Flood Risk & Drainage Engineer
Technical recruiters for the built environment
Job Title: Principal Flood Risk & Drainage Engineer
Salary: £45-60k (experience dependant)
Location: Leeds, United Kingdom
(Other location that may be considered include Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Bristol or London)
Grade: Senior to Principal
Employment type: Permanent Full-time / Hybrid
Please note applicants would need to be eligible to work in the UK without sponsorship and already have UK sector experience to be considered.
Our client is currently looking for a talented and motivated Principal Flood Risk & Drainage Engineer to join our Flooding and Water Management Team.
You will join a growing team of civil engineers, hydraulic modellers and hydrologists who provide consultancy advice, design and hydraulic modelling services in the area of developer infrastructure, flood risk management, surface water management, SUDs and water resource management.
Your role will be to lead the delivery of water input for several key clients in the developer sector both in the UK and Europe.
You will be capable of working across the full spectrum of water management from potable water, water efficiency, surface water and wastewater management.
The work will cover a range of activities including pre-planning and Masterplan development, outline and detailed design and construction support. Your role will play a significant part in the development of others in the team.
Core duties and responsibilities will include:
- Working within agreed deliverables, key milestones, project methodology, quality assurance and control strategy.
- Leading project delivery tasks as defined by the Project Manager/Team Leader.
- Calculations, drawings, sketches, and reports etc.
- Site investigations.
- An awareness of project needs and take personal responsibility to work to deliver these to agreed time, cost, and quality requirements, taking guidance as required.
- Assessing, documenting, and communicating design changes to the Project Manager/Team Leader.
- Ensuring that all work is carried out in full compliance with the Company’s Integrated Management Systems (IMS).
- Complying with health and safety policies at all times.
- Providing technical guidance, support and training to colleagues.
- Working in close collaboration with and supporting colleagues from other disciplines as required.
- Recommending/implementing improvements to technical policy, processes and design solutions where applicable, and sharing via the knowledge management channels as appropriate.
To be successful in this role you’ll possess:
- A proven record (minimum 10 years of experience) of working with developers on medium to large scale developments from pre-planning to detailed design and delivery of water-based solutions.
- Knowledge of the UK legislation governing the flood risk, drainage and water resource management discipline.
- A good technical understanding of hydrology and open channel and pipe hydraulics.
- Experience in some or all of the following: providing pre-application advice to developers, surface water management plans, drainage strategies, drainage and SUDs design and water resource management.
- Experience of acting as technical discipline lead for water on multi-disciplinary developer projects to provide a holistic integrated developer focussed infrastructure solution.
- Understanding of designer’s responsibilities under CDM regulations.
- Experience of mentoring and developing team members – this is essential as the role will be expected to mentor team members less experienced in this field.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal with the ability to adapt your style to suit difference audiences.
- Proven decision making skills with the ability to influence strategic decision-making and make commercial decisions within defined parameters.
- Demonstrable experience of operating and influencing at a senior level.
- Experience of delivering across a multi-site organisation.
- Degree in Environmental Science or Engineering or similar subject with significant hydrology or hydraulics content
- MScMEng andor PhD with a focus on either hydrology, hydraulics, flood risk management, sustainable drainage, water resources or other applied water focussed environmental science or engineering subject.
- Chartered status with a relevant professional body.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search