Principal Project Engineer (Signalling)
We are looking for an experienced signalling project engineer to join a tier one contractor as the principal project engineer. You contribute to the delivery of some of the largest signalling projects in the UK as well as manager the Quality, Cost and Performance of the Engineering elements.
* Functionally manage the Engineering activities for a project, taking responsibility for the safety, professional / technical development and welfare of the site engineering team.
* Implement and maintain best practice signalling engineering processes as part of a continual improvement plan to increase efficiency and minimize cost of non-quality and technical / delivery risk. Carry out technical audits as a means of ensuring the project is following agreed applicable standards and practices. Support the production and identification of RAMS (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, and Safety) analysis, system risk, risk mitigation, method statements and work package plans.
* Undertake design reviews to ensure that Design is delivered to programme and the output is compliant with defined scope and the applicable standards. Ensure integration of design, installation and testing activities and that the end product meets the client specification and has technical integrity. Act as Contractor’s Responsible Engineer or Contractor’s Engineering Manager on contracts as required.
* Support Signalling Systems & Infrastructure business development with tendering activities ensuring the quality of estimates, system description, system architectures, implementation strategies and methodologies. Provide governance and assurance to all tendering activities ensuring assumptions and execution risks are captured during the tendering process.
* Support the Competence Manager with the execution of the IRSE (Institute of Railway Signalling Engineers) licensing scheme and the internal competence management scheme.
* Ensure engineering delivery and technical change is integrated with design, possession planning, installation, test, other disciplines and provide a mechanism for effective communications throughout the SS&I business.
* Must have experience of leading the Engineering Delivery on large multidisciplinary projects.
* Must be able to develop System Specification and Requirements.
* Ability to characterise and manage requirements throughout the system lifecycle.
* Must be able to define system elements and interfaces in sufficient detail to provide a basis for system implementation. It includes the ability to conduct operational, functional, and constructional analyses with focuses on compatibility with technologies and other design elements, feasibility of construction and integration, including:
* Must be able to develop engineering strategy and identify and manage technical risks, including:
* Must be able to manage a team to reach the best technical decision, accounting for all constraints, and to challenge when necessary, including:
Senior Engineering Manager (Projects) (7.8.230F) or Engineering Manager (Projects) (7.8.110F) IRSE licence.
Corporate membership of the IRSE with IEng or higher
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search