Senior Electrical Engineer
The Electrical Engineer will deliver the EICA design content of water industry projects as part of our clients multi-disciplined Water Design Team based close to Durham.
Projects will include water and sewage works design. This will include the design delivery at all stages, from feasibility and pioneering through to detailed designs for construction.
The duties will range from surveying and reporting on existing installations, to determining the best solutions for pumping stations, treatment works, mechanical screening, sludge handling systems, pipework, gantry steelwork, etc.
- Develop effective concept design solutions that are consistent with the project brief.
- Undertake a wide range of design work on all aspects of the functions design and maintenance.
- Implement effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements.
- Maintain high technical standards, consistent with the project brief.
- Process projects through preliminary and detailed design with particular emphasis on client requirements and innovation.
- Liaise with clients and ensure their requirements are effectively communicated to the team.
- Prepare and check engineering designs, calculations, and oversee drawing production
- Prepare and check contract documents and scheme cost estimates
- Prepare and check technical documents and reports and assist in the preparation of tenders
- Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM regulations.
- Supervise team members including all engineers, technicians and assistant and graduate engineers.
- Respond to queries from, and liaise with, site construction teams.
- Maintain a strong focused client relationship.
- Assist with contract preparation together with project planning and programming.
- Project administration reporting to the Project Manager including monitoring programme delivery, resources and budgets.
- Inspection work, feasibility studies, cost estimating works and fees
- Effective management and response of project related correspondence.
- Checks to ensure compliance with the integrated management system and assist in its development.
- Support consulting in the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts
Role Specific Responsibilities
- Acting as a lead engineer on projects. Able to take on significant elements of the design, working on their own initiative, with minimal supervision.
- Working within a multi-disciplined team to obtain and analyse information, and report on findings.
- Site surveys.
- Production of User Requirement Specifications (URS) derived from a Control Philosophy (usually Process driven)
- Checking and appraisal of supplier’s Functional Design Specifications (FDS) against the requirements of the URS.
- Use of engineering-related packages such as, Amtech, Re-lux, Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Access). The ability to use AutoCAD would be an advantage though not essential.
- Strong knowledge of BS7671 18th Edition Wiring Regulations
- Ability to produce electrical and instrumentation design drawings and specifications.
- Familiar with the use of Amtech software for the production of cable calculations.
- A good working knowledge of sewage and clean water processes.
- Knowledge of LV power distribution, motor control centres, instrumentation, motors, etc. associated with the water industry.
- The ability to undertake site surveys and develop good practical engineering solutions.
- Production of Design Hazard Risk Assessments and Pre-construction Information (part of the Health and Safety), using Microsoft word and excel.
- Be able to estimate working hours required at the beginning of a job to build a cost plan.
- To be able to run with numerous projects simultaneously.
- Must have a driving license.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search