Senior Flood Risk Hydraulic Modeller
Senior Flood Risk Hydraulic Modeller
Our client has an exciting opportunity for an experienced senior hydraulic flood modeller to support their expanding workload in their flood risk team, based in their Manchester or Leeds office. The team undertakes a wide variety of major and challenging infrastructure projects for the private and public sector, across a range of development sectors. They seek to provide integrated solutions incorporating state of the art design.
Our client requires an experienced individual of high calibre to assist in the hydraulic modelling and hydrology assessment to support our design of flood risk schemes and flood risk assessment services. They work across a diverse range of clients delivering challenging infrastructure projects for private and public sector.
Specifically, they are seeking to strengthen their ability to deliver modelling services with experience in developing catchment-based hydrology, the building and running of hydraulic models using Flood Modeller Pro software and the production of flood risk assessments.
Our clients’ projects typically range in size from £1m to £100m schemes covering defence, transport, local government, infrastructure, healthcare, education, commercial, industrial and residential development. You will work independently and proactively on technical aspects from a project’s inception, determining client briefs, hydraulic calculation, model build, calibration, designing simulations and reporting in accordance with best practice. There will also be the opportunity to work collaboratively with senior management on larger projects including Quality Assurance and Project Management.
You will take individual responsibility for a range of project types, manage them independently and be the client’s main point of contact. Where appropriate, you will instruct, supervise and mentor junior staff in the design and management of schemes and work with clients to ensure delivery of projects to time and cost, and to help manage change.
Whilst based in Manchester or Leeds, the projects are UK wide and some travel would be expected on occasion.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be an enthusiastic professional who likes a challenge
- Want to work in a busy and growing team and have a desire to progress their career
- Experienced in delivering flood modelling commissions for flood risk projects and flood risk assessments to support projects through the planning system
- Have a detailed knowledge and experience in applying UK flood risk policy (NPPF and TAN15)
- Experienced in undertaking technical reviews of hydraulic models produced by others
- Experienced engaging local authorities and the Environment Agency when reviewing technical details around hydraulic modelling
- Experienced in writing reports and presenting to internal and external partners
- Working across the business to promote the flood risk services we offer
- Have experience in fluvial flood modelling using industry-standard software including Tuflow / Estry / Flood Modeller Pro (essential)
- Have experience in surface water management plans, SUDs and Integrated Catchment Modelling (desired)
- Experienced in developing hydrological studies using UK hydrological methodologies (such as the Flood Estimation Handbook) (desired)
- Assist in the preparation of fee proposals and bids
- Be educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant field and eligible for CEng MICE or chartered with CIWEM.
- Ideally be approaching chartership.
- Have good interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work independently, a collaborative approach and a proven ability to deliver work on time.
- Have experience of commercial management of projects and change control.
- Have a commitment to encouraging good health and safety practices within the workplace and within design.
- Be a team player displaying enthusiasm, flexibility and versatility.
- Have the ability to mentor, encourage and support team members.
- Have a desire to build upon your existing experience, continuing your professional development.
- Hold a full UK Driving License.
- Security Clearance to minimum SC level preferable (or be suitable and willing to apply for clearance essential).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search