Senior OR Principal Geomorphologist
Senior / Principal Geomorphologist
Leeds or Manchester
£35,000 – £50,000 p/annum + package
Are you ready to take the next step in your career? Do you want to do meaningful work that improves quality of life?
My client is one of the largest and fastest growing environmental consultancies in the world and due to their increasing workload and future projects secured, they are looking to bring in a Senior or Principal level Geomorphologist preferably experience with Fluvial Geomorphology.
With my client, you will work with high-performing teams who are passionate about using their expertise to find solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
My client has several positions to fill within their flood risk team due to ongoing growth with their existing client base as well as new project wins with new clients. They are seeking a Senior or Principal level Geomorphologist to support their flood risk team based ideally out of Manchester or Leeds office, but other locations and grades would be considered for the right candidate.
Their team undertakes a wide variety of major and challenging infrastructure projects for the private and public sector, across a range of development sectors. They seek to provide integrated flood risk and drainage solutions incorporating state of the art design.
Their current flood risk portfolio includes outline business cases for local authorities such as the Shap flood alleviation scheme Cumbria County Council, schemes for the MOD defence portfolio and National Grid. They are embedded with a number of high-profile housing developers and support them from site inception through to master planning, design and construction on their flood risk challenges, including design of natural flood risk management solutions on the Manchester Northern Gateway partnership.
Their varied client and project base provides their team exciting challenges to continuingly improve their skills and knowledge across the sector. As a project leader, you will guide their teams and support their clients in the delivery of the portfolio as well as support bidding and proposition activity as they continue to grow the team.
My client is looking for an experienced individual of high calibre to lead projects for the flood risk and drainage teams across a range of activities such as river, coastal and flood defence design, hydraulic modelling and hydrology assessment, fluvial geomorphology assessment, water framework direct assessments and the development of business cases.
They work across a diverse range of clients delivering challenging infrastructure projects for the private and public sector. Their projects can range in size from £10k commissions up to £100m schemes covering flood risk projects for defence, transport, local government, infrastructure, commercial, industrial and residential development. You will work independently and proactively on technical aspects from a project’s inception, determining client briefs, to the delivery and close out of projects in accordance with best practice.
You will provide geomorphology support to their growing flood risk and water team in the form of fluvial geomorphology audits, support their infrastructure design teams in the assessment of geomorphology risks as well as undertake and lead Water Framework Directive assessments for their projects.
You will also lead projects as a project manager and support junior colleagues throughout the delivery of projects, including client facing and leadership roles. You will instruct, supervise, and mentor junior staff in the design and management of schemes and work with clients to ensure delivery of projects to time and cost, and to help manage change. You will have the opportunity to help grow this service offering within the GB region through bid and proposition development, as well as work alongside their international world leading geomorphology teams.
As a company, they provide internal project management training as well as a structured learning and development platform including mentoring and coaching, CPD and training to ensure their staff are the best they can be to deliver excellence to their clients.
Whilst based in Manchester or Leeds, the projects are UK wide and some travel would be expected on occasion, including working outside normal office hours.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate some or all the requirements below:
- Be an enthusiastic professional who likes a challenge
- Want to work in a busy and growing team and have a desire to progress their career
- Have experience in the delivery and leading fluvial geomorphology audits
- Have experience in supporting the development of flood risk appraisals in accordance with the FCERM appraisal guidance
- Have experience in delivering Water Framework Directive assessments at project appraisal and detailed design stages
- Understanding of key environmental legislation
- Have an understanding and experience in working with the NPPF
- Experience in developing Natural Flood Management solutions
- Experience in writing reports (including business cases) and presenting to internal and external partners
- Experienced in working across and leading multidisciplinary teams to delivery projects efficiently and effectively, such as with hydraulic modellers and environmental consultants
- Be educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant field (such as Geography, Geomorphology or environmental science) and ideally or Chartered with the ICE, CIWEM or other relevant institution
- Have experience in developing proposals
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work independently, a collaborative approach and a proven ability to deliver work on time
- Have a commitment to encouraging good health and safety practices within the workplace and within design
- Be a team player displaying enthusiasm, flexibility and versatility
- The ability to mentor, encourage and support junior team members
- Have a desire to build upon your existing experience, continuing your professional development.
- Hold a full UK Driving License (desirable)
- Security Clearance to minimum SC level preferable (or be suitable and willing to apply for clearance essential).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search