What you’ll be doing
Leading one of the Water / wastewater infrastructure or non-infrastructure Civil Engineering teams, the Principal Civil Engineer is a key member of the team. You’ll be responsible for managing, coaching, and developing a team of circa 10 engineers ranging from graduates to senior engineers. You will also provide expertise in your field of water engineering. Focusing on the civil engineering infrastructure or non-infrastructure discipline, you will provide the direction and expertise needed to:
- Get the right engineering solutions and definitions in Project Briefs
- Input and continuously improve Technical Asset Standards
- Provide design sign-off of deliverables
- Provide technical assurance during the delivery, commissioning, and handover of Assets
- Drive the advancement of the civil engineering discipline
- Ensure and deliver the Engineering Regulatory compliance on relevant assets in the Civil Engineering area
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Drive excellence in the Water and/or Wastewater Civil Engineering discipline
- Provide the technical input into Project Definition briefs
- Mentor a growing team of engaged engineers
- Lead the civil input into asset surveys and condition assessments, feasibility studies, optioneering, whole life costing, and preliminary/outline designs
- Support provision of the technical sign-off and assurance during technical delivery including handover
- Carry out root cause analysis and provide solutions
- Ensure we are compliant with engineering-based regulatory requirements
- Support the establishment of a cohesive, sustainable Engineering structure from graduate to industry experts that guides our clients’ Engineering requirements into AMP8 and beyond
- Support the establishment of a Centre of Excellence for Engineering and recruitment
What you should bring to the role
- Significant expertise in UK water utility civil infrastructure design and construction. Experience in water mains and/or sewer design and rehabilitation would be an added advantage
- Understanding the regulatory environment we work in to achieve compliance with our engineering regulatory requirements
- Excellent stakeholder management to drive results through influence
- Experience in management, leadership, and development of people in a culture of accountability and achievement
- Be educated to degree level or equivalent in Civil Engineering with professional chartership
- Possess the credibility to influence at a senior level and authority to challenge to ensure that we are making the right decisions
- A passion for continuous professional development and an active approach to driving diversity within Engineering
What’s in it for you?
You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects across all quadrants and help to shape and establish a team of first-class engineers.
Our client’s competitive salary and package include a bonus, car allowance, private healthcare, an excellent contributory pension, and 26 days of holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.