Flood Risk Associate / Associate Director
Website AdvanceTRS Advance Training and Recruitment Services
Technical recruiters for the built environment
Our client currently has a number of positions to fill within their flood risk team due to ongoing growth with their existing client base as well as new project wins with new clients. They are seeking an Associate or Associate Director to support their flood risk team based, ideally, out of their Manchester or Leeds office, but other locations will be considered for the right candidate. Our clients’ team undertakes a wide variety of major and challenging infrastructure projects for the private and public sector, across a range of development sectors. They seek to provide integrated flood risk and drainage solutions incorporating state of the art design.
Our clients’ current flood risk portfolio includes outline business cases for local authorities such as the Shap flood alleviation scheme Cumbria County Council, schemes for the MOD defence portfolio and National Grid. They are embedded with a number of high-profile housing developers and support them from site inception through to masterplaining, design and construction on their flood risk challenges, including design of natural flood risk management solutions on the Manchester Northern Gateway partnership. They support Homes England on some of their largest commissions, including technical advisory for flood risk consenting on the York Central development and designer on the 4,000 home Attleborough Urban Extension project. Our clients’ varied client and project base provides their team with exciting challenges to improve their skills and knowledge across the sector. As a project leader, you will guide our clients’ teams and support their clients in the delivery of the portfolio as well as support bidding and proposition activity as they continue to grow the team.
Our client is looking for an experienced individual of high calibre to lead projects for the flood risk and drainage teams across a range of activities such as river, coastal and flood defence design, hydraulic modelling and hydrology assessment, fluvial geomorphology assessment, water framework direct assessments and the development of business cases. They work across a diverse range of clients delivering challenging infrastructure projects for the private and public sector.
Projects can range in size from £10k commissions up to £100m schemes covering flood risk projects for defence, transport, local government, infrastructure, commercial, industrial and residential development. You will work independently and proactively on technical aspects from a project’s inception, determining client briefs, to the delivery and close out of projects in accordance with best practice.
You will lead projects as a project manager and support junior colleagues throughout the delivery of projects, including client facing and leadership roles. You will instruct, supervise and mentor junior staff in the design and management of schemes and work with clients to ensure delivery of projects to time and cost, and to help manage change.
Our client provides internal project management training as well as a structured learning and development platform including mentoring and coaching, CPD and training to ensure their staff are the best they can be to deliver excellence to their clients.
Whilst based in Manchester or Leeds, the projects are UK wide and some travel would be expected on occasion, including working outside normal office hours.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate some or all of the requirements below:
- Be an enthusiastic professional who likes a challenge
- Want to work in a busy and growing team and have a desire to progress their career
- Have experience in the delivery and leading flood risk appraisals projects in accordance with the FCERM appraisal guidance
- Have experience in delivering and leading detailed design of options to reduce flood risk, such as earth embankment, RC wall and structure design
- Experience writing reports (including business cases) and presenting to internal and external partners
- Experienced working across and leading multidisciplinary teams to delivery projects efficiently and effectively, such as with hydraulic modellers and environmental consultants
- Experience or an interest in developing Natural Flood Management solutions
- Experience in the Multi-coloured Manual for flood risk economic appraisal
- Have an understanding and experience in working with the NPPF
- Ideally have experience in delivering flood risk assessments and watercourse consents
- Ideally some experience in delivering Water Framework Directive assessments
- Experience in IT systems such as ArcGIS, AutoCAD and the Microsoft Office suite
- Be educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant field and Chartered with the ICE or CIWEM.
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work independently, a collaborative approach and a proven ability to deliver work on time
- Have a commitment to encouraging good health and safety practices within the workplace and within design
- Be a team player displaying enthusiasm, flexibility and versatility
- Have the ability to mentor, encourage and support junior team members
- Have a desire to build upon your existing experience
- Hold a full UK Driving License
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search