This is an exciting opportunity for a Lead Planner to join a highly reputable Consultancy and Main Contractor in their Systems and Signalling division. You be working for one of the main players in the very busy Rail Sector. The company has grown year on year after winning large packages of works and know needs a lead planner to deliver a programme of multiple projects.
The role of Lead Planner is to lead the preparation and maintenance of integrated and co-ordinated project programmes, enabling resource and material requirements to be forward planned to meet project deliverables, using P6 Project Planning software. The postholder will be expected to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of the delivery team and also deal with the client directly and professionally.
Reporting to the Planning Manager, the Lead Planner will be expected to work autonomously and independently, setting high personal standards and delivering reports in a timely and accurate manner to the project team and client alike. He/she will also be expected to manage/mentor less experienced staff within a dynamic project environment.
- Develop comprehensive, logic linked, project programmes for projects incorporating resource loading/forecasting, materials planning, cost-loading and earned value forecasting and reporting.
- Continuously monitor the programmes prepared to accurately reflect progress and maintain accurate earned value and resource data for internal and external purposes.
- Identify critical paths and ensure action plans are developed and implemented to maximise project quality, cost and delivery objectives.
- Through accurate reporting on Work Package progress, co-ordinate all functional activity on the project and ensure that problems and bottlenecks are anticipated and resolved in a timely manner to prevent negative impact on the project.
- Provide regular reports and feedback to management on key issues and focus areas. This includes weekly dashboards, incorporating (but not limited to) Project Issues, Key Risks, Programme movement and recovery plans, Client Issues and Change.
- Lead the preparation of any high level strategic programmes as required for use when meeting the client and/or Internal Management (Plan on a Page).
- Through active dialogue with Work Package Managers and the Project Manager, ensure that the project programmes will deliver customer and contractual requirements to time and cost.
- Conduct regular project co-ordination meetings on the status of the project with specific reference to engineering activity, sourcing, quality, cost and delivery.
- Support the Planning Manager with business requests and auditing the programmes against the planning procedure / work instruction.
- Manage/mentor a small team (1-3 Planners/Assistant/Graduate Planners) to successfully deliver projects assigned to the team.
- Ensure all programmes under their control are updated and reviewed in line with the planning processes, including PMS updates.
- Ensure all reports from their planning team are produced to a high quality and to agreed deadlines. This role will be measured against the timeliness and accuracy of reporting.
- Undertake all staff management duties for their team, including undertaking relevant Performance Management and People Review activities.
- Travel when required to other sites across the country.
- Occasional weekend/bank holiday cover for any major commissionings.
- Comply with and undertake all relevant Environment, Health and Safety measures and activities.
- Extensive experience in a project planning / scheduling role, including resource and cost-loading / forecasting.
- Extensive experience and expert knowledge of Primavera P6 Planning Software.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to communicate well and build relationships
- Ability to persuade and influence others.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Educated to at least A Level Standard.
- Knowledge and experience of working in a business process environment with an emphasis on project delivery (contractor side).
- Knowledge and experience of the Rail Industry.
- Understanding and experience of Earned Value Management.
- Educated to degree level.
- Knowledge and experience of Rail Signalling.
- Demonstrable people management skills and experience.
- Expert knowledge of MS Excel.
- Extensive experience of Earned Value Management.
- Experience of Primavera Risk / Quantitive Schedule Risk Analysis (QSRA).
Please contact Joe Moss if you would like to hear more information about this opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search