Principal Bridge Engineer
Website AdvanceTRS Advance Training and Recruitment Services
Technical recruiters for the built environment
Principal Bridge Engineer
Permanent – £50,000 – £65,000 (depending on level of experience)
Flexible and remote working
My client is currently searching for highly qualified Principal Bridge Engineer to join their Bridges and Civils team in the Transportation Practice division.
The job opening is for our clients NW offices in Warrington or Manchester, and we are searching for a candidate who can exhibit an exceptional level of civil engineering capability and lead the technical delivery of bridge and civils design projects. The successful candidate should have experience in structural and civil design, specifically working within the UK highways and/or rail sectors, and a proven track record of managing and delivering engineering design projects successfully.
My client is proud to be involved in a multitude of prestigious projects and frameworks across the country. Our portfolio includes significant contributions to projects such as the Cambridge to Huntingdon A14 upgrade, Smart Motorways, and Roads Investment Programmes through the Collaborative Delivery Framework for Highways England. Additionally, we are involved in large-scale transportation initiatives like HS2, TRU, East West Rail, and the West Midlands Shared Professional Services, collaborating with numerous local authorities to deliver successful outcomes.
- As an experienced professional in the field, the successful candidate will lead the technical delivery of bridge and/or civil engineering projects, specifically within the Highways England, Network Rail, and/or Local Authority sectors. In addition, the candidate will be expected to contribute their expertise to complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Using analytical skills, the candidate will be responsible for identifying potential solutions to engineering problems and utilizing their engineering judgement to recommend the most appropriate option. They will also be responsible for overseeing the production and review of high-quality design documentation, including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports, and specifications.
- The candidate will be required to complete designs, design calculations, reports, and specifications according to industry and national standards, ensuring that all design submissions comply with relevant standards. It is also important that the candidate stays up to date with industry developments and changes in standards.
- The successful candidate should have the ability to mentor and provide technical training to junior staff, while taking responsibility for completing projects within agreed timeframes and budgets.
- The candidate should have an intimate knowledge of the processes and deliverables required at each stage of Highways England’s and/or Network Rail’s projects.
- Flexibility for occasional periods working away from normal office location, including overseas for 3 to 6 months.
- The successful candidate should have the willingness and ability to lead the technical delivery of bridge and civils design projects and relevant aspects of complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- They should possess a sound understanding of the technical principles underlying civil engineering, particularly civil engineering structures.
- The candidate should be familiar with relevant design standards, including Eurocodes, as well as Network Rail, Highways England, and local authority standards and technical assurance procedures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Word and Excel, is required.
- They should be able to prepare reports, collate specifications from all parties involved in the project, and collect other data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports.
- Relevant experience in the highways and rail industry working within a design consultancy is essential. Wider knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organization is desirable.
- The successful candidate should possess sound interpersonal skills and the ability to converse with a wide range of clients and colleagues across various engineering disciplines.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of colleagues across various engineering disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- The ideal candidate should have experience working with key clients, such as Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities, and major contractors. They should also understand their internal organization and processes.
- The ideal candidate should have experience working as a designer on design and build (D&B) and/or Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) commissions.
- They should also have experience using collaborative software, such as SharePoint, Business Collaborator, ProNet or Arenium.
- The candidate should possess experience in writing bids and offers and understand the commercial risks associated with projects.
- They should be able to identify and respond to our clients’ values in a competitive market sector.
- The candidate should possess the ability to manage stakeholders, such as specialist suppliers, independent checkers, and local authorities.
- The ideal candidate should possess a BEng/MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or an equivalent field.
- They should hold a Chartered Membership with a relevant professional body, such as ICE or IStructE.
For information about this position or any others within the Civil/Structural Engineering design market, please contact Calum French on 02394317816
Please note to be considered for the role, you must be eligible to work in the UK without sponsorship requirements.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search