Principal Civil Engineer (Water / Wastewater Infrastructure)
Website AdvanceTRS Advance Training and Recruitment Services
Technical recruiters for the built environment
Our client are recruiting to reinforce and expand the infrastructure design team in Bristol and they are currently looking for a talented and motivated Principal Civil Engineer to join their team. They are the principal water and wastewater infrastructure design office for their business in the south of England and Wales. They work for a wide range of clients as well as water companies.
What does the role involve?
You will be a Principal Civil Engineer in a team who cover a wide range of clients and capabilities. Our clients’ work encompasses most aspects of stormwater, wastewater and clean water infrastructure. They provide flood prevention designs on combined and stormwater systems for water companies and design new systems for developments both for developers and water company requisitions.
Flood Risk Assessments, environmental and planning considerations and SUDS design are included in most of these projects. There is a current emphasis on cleaning up sewage overflows to rivers and bathing waters and they are experts in that field. Nature-based solutions are a method in which we are currently developing our skills.
Our client also carries out maintenance and safety driven projects such as refurbishment and new designs for pumping stations and other M&E installations such as mechanical screens. This is a full service from option identification through hydraulic modelling to detailed design, construction support and commissioning.
The role requires an enthusiastic approach to the development of less experienced members of the team, supporting their progress to professional qualification. It will also include responsibility for guidance and quality control of their work and supervision of their programme and cost compliance.
Day to day duties will include:
- Preparing designs to current water company and regulatory standards.
- Providing regular feedback on progress to the team leader to assist in the management of delivery and ensure that project delivery meets the client’s objectives and requirements.
- Ensuring tasks are carried out and completed in accordance with the agreed scope of works, timescales and budgets.
- Assisting team leader and occasionally deputising at meetings.
- Assisting team members with consultation with stakeholders.
- Working in close collaboration with team members, clients and colleagues from other disciplines as required to deliver project requirements.
To be successful in this role, you will need to possess:
- Current knowledge and experience in water design projects, you’ll be able to carry out design independently whilst making use of support and advice from the team.
- The ability to provide advice and guidance to others in a way that motivates whilst ensuring compliance.
- The drive and determination to ensure you meet all targets for budget, programme, quality, safety and performance.
- Experience of current Water Company, EA and NRW design standards and requirements
- Knowledge of InfoWorks and ability with MicroDrainage.
- The ability to work with professionals from all disciplines to optimise and develop bespoke, ‘value for money’ and innovative designs.
- Experience of liaising with all clients and consultees.
- A clear understanding of the contractors needs and for prompt but considered response to RFIs and TQs.
- An appreciation of the implications of works on the environment.
- An appreciation of water company procedures.
- A good understanding of the health and safety legislation, particularly regarding confined spaces.
- The ability to communicate in a fluent and positive manner with other team members and to produce reports in clear English.
- The ability to organise and prioritise own workload to ensure that timescales and budget are met.
- Good problem solving/contingency planning skills with ability to find innovative and practical solutions.
- Chartered membership of ICE or CIWEM.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search