Principal EIA Consultant or Techncal Director (EIA)
Website AdvanceTRS Advance Training and Recruitment Services
Technical recruiters for the built environment
Do you have proven experience in leading or delivering EIA, Sustainability Appraisal (SA) and Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) projects in a variety of fields or sectors?
Our client is seeking an enthusiastic and dynamic Principal EIA Consultant, or Technical Director commensurate with experience, (although other grades would be considered for exceptional applications) to join their growing environment team working on a range of exciting projects across the UK. It is expected that the successful applicant(s) will also have demonstrable experience in leading SEA and SA projects.
This person will develop the exciting work our client are doing in this area and become a key contact for EIA/SA/SEA projects and practice.
As an Environmental Consultant you will work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team, alongside design engineers, planners and a range of environmental specialists, and engage with a diverse range of clients and stakeholders.
The successful candidate will, amongst other things, be responsible for:
- Company-wide technical leadership on EIA, SA and SEA, including training provision.
- Providing our clients with expert advice on EIA, SA and SEA using your wealth of experience in this area.
- Leading in the delivery of strategic-level environmental assessment, including (but not limited to) SA and SEA, including technical review of products and reports.
- Business development in EIA, SA, SEA and associated assessments.
- Coordinating statutory and non-statutory project-level environmental assessment / EIA, or leading on / delivering work within another relevant discipline (e.g. ecology, landscape, stakeholder engagement, etc.)
Our client has 4 offices in the Yorkshire region (all commutable from Leeds) where this role could be based.
Our client supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that they work.
Qualifications and experience
The right candidate will have the following:
Our client is looking for candidates with a positive and professional attitude, who can demonstrate a proactive and creative approach to problem solving.
- A robust level of demonstrable experience in leading or delivering EIA, SA and SEA projects in a variety of fields / sectors.
- Experience with site-level projects, whether EIA or as part of another discipline as described above.
- Other associated assessments such as Health Impact Assessment (HIA) and Equalities Impact Assessment (EqIA) desired but not essential.
- Strong understanding of environmental legislation, relevant policy and guidance and awareness of updates.
- Demonstratable understanding of strategic planning and spatial development.
- Strong awareness and understanding of relevant stakeholders for SA / SEA / EIA.
Core skills required:
- EIA, SA, and SEA fluency, both theory and practice; ability to ensure compliance / fluent in key case law; ability to develop and implement bespoke approaches and methods.
- Environmental impact and sustainability in different sectors (including several of the following): local / spatial planning, minerals planning, waste management planning, transport planning, flood risk management, water resources management, energy / nuclear.
- EIA coordination and delivery
- Technical report writing and editing.
- Awareness of other strategic-level assessments: HIA, EqIA, HRA, etc.
- Business development – tenders/bids and fee proposals.
- BSc (or equivalent) in environmental science or related discipline.
- Member of a relevant professional body (e.g. the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA)).
- Post-graduate degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, or equivalent level of experience.
- Chartered status and Full Membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. IEMA).
- Project management.
- HIA and EqIA, both theory and practice.
- Geographical Information System (GIS) skills / ability to navigate GIS software.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search