Principal Rail Design Engineer
Website AdvanceTRS Advance Training and Recruitment Services
Technical recruiters for the built environment
Principal Rail Design Engineer
£53,000 – £60,000
The aim of this role is to provide civil engineering design and technical support that meets safety and compliance standards, with the goal of ensuring the successful delivery of rail projects throughout the United Kingdom.
- Ensure that projects are managed in accordance with company policies and procedures, which includes providing input to all project management systems (such as Synergist) and project quality assurance (QA) systems.
- Develop designs that meet safety and compliance requirements within the specified client scope and timeframes, using established analysis software and adhering to current industry and group standards.
- Successfully deliver project requirements in compliance with industry standards, meeting client specifications, time, and budget constraints, and achieving an excellent standard of quality.
- Oversee and coordinate the production of technical drawings.
- Generate technical reports that meet client needs.
Role and responsibilities
- Take charge of day-to-day requirements for all aspects of project delivery, encompassing technical, safety, and financial aspects, to ensure compliance with the QA policies and procedures.
- Ensure timely and successful delivery of all project work within client remit and HOR requirements, meeting time, budget, and quality standards.
- Respond to HoR requests professionally and within a reasonable timeframe.
- Secure regular and ongoing projects from key rail clients.
- Manage project delivery within established time, budget, and quality parameters.
- Provide mentorship, professional development, and conduct PMRs for direct reports.
- Undertake on-site project work within the rail environment, including overnight stays or trips to remote locations, to identify issues and troubleshoot in a safe and professional manner as needed.
- Manage personal CPD and Development Action Plan with support from the DOR.
- Meet critical business KPIs, including safety and financial metrics.
- Keep up to date with engineering technical knowledge of standards, policies, and procedures.
- Represent the company at meetings with clients, contractors, design teams, and other relevant parties.
Essential and Desirable Criteria
The following qualifications and experience are required for this position:
- A degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- At least 5 years of design experience within a UK consultancy practice.
- Chartered or Incorporated status with ICE or IstructE, or on track to sit professional review.
- Experience in utilizing design software such as TEDDS, Robot, CADS, Superstress, etc.
- Working knowledge of Eurocodes and associated industry and group standards.
- Possession of a valid UK driving license.
The following criteria are desirable for this position:
- Experience of working within the railway sector and familiarity with Network Rail policies and procedures.
- Possession of a current PTS card.
- Previous experience in drainage, earthworks, steelwork, or structural surveys, or a combination of these areas.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to manage commercial aspects of projects from inception to completion.
- Demonstrated capability of working on multi-project programs.
Please note to be considered for the role, you must be eligible to work in the UK without sponsorship requirements.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search