Technical recruiters for the built environment
Senior Quantity Surveyor
Permanent – £50,000-£70,000
My client is looking to bring on board a Senior Quantity Surveyor to work on projects across the Thames Valley region on a permanent basis.
Summary of Role:
To ensure the successful financial completion of projects, protecting the exposure of the Company to financial risks, together with adherence to the commercial procedures of the Business. Responsible for the commercial management of a section of a large project or on a number of smaller projects.
What you will be doing:
- To co-operate with, report to and implement the reasonable directives of the Regional Director/Manager and the Commercial Manager (functional reporting).
- To ensure the timely submission of all relevant data required to monitor and analyse individual contract performance on a monthly and quarterly basis thereafter.
- To liaise with contracts management in the day-to-day commercial administration of contracts to ensure the financial success of construction operations and to keep the Commercial Manager appraised of all material events.
- To ensure the full and proper implementation of the Group’s Commercial Procedures where delegated authority so requires.
- To prepare accurate draft sub-contracts and/or to approve such drafts as prepared by subordinates within the Region to the level of responsibility dictated by the Group’s Commercial Procedures.
- To ensure that a high personal standard of professionalism is evident to all external clients, peers and subordinates in the day-to-day management of the Regions activities.
- To supervise, mentor and encourage all junior staff in their personal professional development.
- To ensure in consultation with contracts management that all necessary notices and submissions required by the various forms of contract are given in an expedient manner so as to protect the Group’s position in its trading activities.
- To ensure in consultation with contracts management that main contract payment applications contain all necessary admeasure/additional cost claims and that the timely submission of detailed claims and final accounts is achieved.
- To assist contracts management in the administration of sub-contractor performance so as to ensure the economic and timely completion of all sub-contractor liabilities written into the sub-contract.
- To ensure the prompt and regular submission of main contract payment applications and subsequent cash collection together with the preparation of sub-contractor payments (strictly in accordance with specified payment terms).
- Involvement in dispute avoidance/resolution.
- Responsible for managing meetings.
- Line management responsibility for members of the commercial team.
What you will need:
- Experience working in the water sector.
- Sound & comprehensive understanding of construction industry and the parties to it.
- Proficient knowledge of measurement and valuation.
- Good knowledge of NEC and JCT forms of contract.
- Proficient in reading drawings, specifications and knowledge of construction process.
- Ability to negotiate with clients/sub-contractors.
- Ability to draft subcontracts and design appointments.
- Knowledge of CIS.
- Experience of undertaking risk assessments and valuation of them in conjunction with other project team members.
- Ability to produce accurate monthly cost and value reports and outturn financial forecasts.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Awareness of dispute procedures.
- Experience of value engineering.
- Professional membership of recognised institute e.g., RICS (desirable)
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages e.g., Excel, Word & PowerPoint
- Extensive experience of working on live projects and final accounts.
- Experience of developing second stage tender submissions working under preconstruction services agreement.
- Exposure to resolving disputes.
- Successfully completed a number of final accounts.
- Experience of procuring major works subcontracts.
- Experience of managing, mentoring and developing staff.
- Experience of working on infrastructure commercial projects highly desirable.
* Competitive salary (to be discussed on application)
* Car allowance
* 26 days annual leave (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 3 days holiday)
* Private medical insurance for yourself (with the option to buy family cover)
* Life Assurance
* Defined contribution pension scheme matched up to 8%
* 2 days volunteering opportunities
* Flexible and Agile working (dependent on your role)
* Employee Assistance Programme
* Professional membership fees
* Flexible Benefits scheme which includes the opportunity to purchase benefits
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search