Senior / Principal Flood Risk & Drainage Consultant
Experience: 4-10y UK experience post grad
Locations: Leeds, Manchester, or London
Type: Perm / full time
We currently have a brilliant opportunity for a Senior/Principal Flood Risk & Drainage Consultant to come our clients Water Services Team.
Working as a Senior/Principal Consultant within Water Services, you would be responsible for the factual and interpretative input to projects including planning, task delivery, management of sub-contractors and site works where necessary, data assessment and reporting. Typical tasks will include:
- Running with projects from inception to completion to develop a wide range of technical, project management and commercial skills.
- Management and completion of Flood Risk Appraisals for our investor and pension fund clients assessing the risk for all sources of flooding and providing practical mitigation measures, recommendations, and commercial advice.
- Management and completion of Flood Risk Assessments and Drainage Strategies to support planning applications for our clients.
- Completion of Hydrology and Flood Risk Chapters for Environmental Impact Assessments.
- Completion of other flood risk and drainage projects for existing and new and emerging markets such as nutrient neutrality and ESG.
- Building relationships with clients and across other technical disciplines.
- Mentoring staff within the team to support their professional development.
- Undertaking conceptual drainage calculations on MicroDrainage.
- Producing concept drainage plans in AutoCAD.
- Producing accurate flood risk GIS maps in QGIS or equivalent.
What we need from you:
- Proficient at using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Having a growth mindset, with a proactive and resourceful approach.
What we would like from you:
- 4+ years’ experience in UK flood risk and drainage consultancy, with a good understanding of relevant regulatory and planning policy and processes.
- Experience of managing projects and liaising with both clients and statutory consultees.
- Good commercial awareness.
- Experience of using GIS (preferably QGIS).
- Experience of using AutoCAD.
- Experience of using MicroDrainage or equivalent modelling software.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant subject such as Geography and preferably a secondary qualification such as an MSc, or discipline-specific related qualification.
- Demonstration of equivalent qualification or experience.
- Desirable to be a Member of Professional Body with desire to work towards Chartered status.
- Be self-motivated, and able to work under pressure.
- Prioritise and meet deadlines.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly.
- Ability and willingness to learn from experience and take on greater responsibility.
- Commitment and desire to develop personal CPD.
- Sound communication and personal effectiveness skills to liaise with colleagues and clients.
- Competitive base salary of between £35,000 – £50,000 depending on skills, experience, and location.
- Company matched pension scheme.
- Up to 29 days annual leave in addition to bank holidays, with holiday increasing with service.
- Hybrid and flexible working opportunities.
- Career progression opportunities as part of a growing water team, supported by mentor schemes.
- Support in application for chartership.
- Participation in a friendly, supportive, and experienced team.
- Involvement in exceptional and innovative projects, with recent involvement including the UK’s largest solar farm, and logistics park.
- Employee Assistance Programme, which includes counselling services and legal assistance.
- Supported opportunities for volunteering and community action.
- Cashback and discounts on purchases and events, from a range of brands and services including gym membership and restaurant deals.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why have an account with us?
As well as making it quicker and easier to apply for our jobs, if you register for an account with us, you will also be able to:
- Shortlist jobs
- See all the jobs you’ve applied for in one place
- Set up job alerts
- Access additional information to support your job search