Look out for each other this summer
31st July 2018
This summer, more than ever, it is important to look out for each other and be aware of potential dangers to ensure that we all stay safe in the sun and get home safely every day.
For the Rail Industry, the temperature is critical in the summer months and is monitored to avoid “buckling” of the track. Rail worker temperature is just as critical. Make sure you stay focused.
Remember to take on plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated all throughout the summer months, especially on those hotter days.
Make sure you take care of your skin and use sun cream on exposed skin. Site security and infrastructure access points must be controlled to prevent unauthorised access from members of the public and children during school holidays.
Did you know….?
- There is an increased risk of fire from Hot Works and burning activities. Ensure control measures are planned to prevent a fire from sparks or heat resources. Firefighting equipment must be located at the point of work for these reasons.
- Sun glare has contributed to an average of 28 road deaths per year in the UK since 2010. This includes pedestrians.
- Network Rail’s alcohol limit is one-third of the England and Wales drink-drive limit.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder is a type of depression that comes and goes in a seasonal pattern and is currently estimated to affect up to 2 million people in the UK.
- Trespassing on railway tracks is at a 10 year high.
- People are twice as likely to trespass on the tracks over the summer – you should make sure you know if the railway you are working on is a trespassing hotspot.