Job title: Assistant Consultant
Salary: Assistant £25k-£35k (Depending on experience.)
Type: This is a permanent, full-time vacancy (with flexible workplace arrangements to suit individuals’ circumstances).
Our client has an exciting opportunity for new graduate/assistant consultant positions in their Cardiff office.
Our client is a small business, and your contribution to the team will be valued and recognised -the staff are their most important asset. There consultants have good opportunities for personal development on fair salaries and broader benefits, with additional tax-free bonuses linked to profit share.
The successful candidate will have:
- A good first degree (upper second or higher) in a numerate discipline.
- A relevant postgraduate qualification would be advantageous.
- Relevant analytical experience gained through their studies or through work experience.
Your objectives for the first year will include the following:
● Undertake hydraulic and hydrological modelling across all sectors to deliver the required technical outputs. There most common modelling software tools include Tuflow, Flood Modeller, HecRas, WINFAP, ReFH2, Causeway Flow. You will be provided with training and gain increasing proficiency in using at least two of these software packages in the first 6 months.
● Support hydrogeological and water quality assessments.
● Undertake outline SUDS drainage design to achieve regulatory approval for client planning applications, including scoping and analysis of infiltration testing.
● Undertake fieldwork, analysis and report writing required to compile the hydrogeology, hydrology and water environment chapters of Environmental Impact Assessments for major infrastructure projects such as wind farms, solar farms and transport infrastructure.
● Utilise GIS and CAD tools to manipulate mapping and model outputs to interpret and present data in reports.
● Contribute to significant client reports and act as first author for more minor client reports and implement quality assurance processes.
● Undertake site visits to support consultancy and water monitoring projects and implement health and safety processes.
● Manage your training to a personal development plan, agreed with your line manager, including the development of your modelling skills to an independent working proficiency within 6 months and achieving some initial competencies required for chartership under the Chartered Institute for Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM), Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) or Geological Society. This will include a mix of external and on-the-job training.
● Create a good working rapport with other team members, communicating effectively internally and externally to achieve the best possible outcomes.
● Build upon your knowledge of the regulatory framework that controls activity around the water environment and ensure compliance with relevant regulatory processes.
Project Management & Work Winning Objectives
● Manage your work, usually on 4-5 projects simultaneously, to achieve the required quality to budget and programme.
● After your first 6 months, undertake the Project Manager role for projects up to £5k in value.
● Contribute to client proposals, and after 6 months, lead on proposals up to £5k in value under the guidance of a senior and principal consultant.
● Undertake market research tasks to support the delivery of the marketing plan under the guidance of the Director and principal consultant.
Opportunities Beyond Year One
You will have the opportunity to take on increasing responsibility and, depending on your strengths and areas of interest, you will:
●Participate in the technical delivery of wider consultancy services, such as outline design, economic assessment and costings for flood defence schemes, water quality and LowFlows assessments.
● Working towards promotion to consultant, usually after 2 years’ experience and Senior Consultant, usually within 5 years’ experience (including post-graduate qualifications) .
● Develop improved technical processes and software tools.
● Act as Project Manager on more significant projects.
● Contribute to and manage higher-value proposals.
●Implement aspects of the tactical marketing plan.
● Dynamic work environment that rewards achievement and provides the opportunity to work with other specialists.
● 40.5-day holiday allowance. Staff may ‘buy or sell’ additional annual leave at the start of each year.
●Tax-free bonuses to all staff and operate a separate performance-related bonus scheme – Distribution of bonus is dependent on achieving a minimum profit level.
● Company pension scheme, with employer-matched contributions of 5% of salary. This increases by 1% each year following 5 years’ service, to a maximum of 10%.
● Cycle to Work scheme.
● Medicash health plan offers various benefits, from cashback on your everyday healthcare treatments, checks and therapies – access to a virtual GP and face-to-face counselling.
● Staff are encouraged to take an annual ‘Environment Day’ to support environmental or educational volunteering projects.
● Flexible working hours system.
● Financial support for our staff in gaining professional membership in the appropriate body.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.